6.23.2009

Trend: South of the Border Summer

My sister came home from the flea market today and showed me the items that she bought. Among the leather belt, silver ring, and peace sign bracelet was a tribal-looking necklace with wooden beads and white stones. This got me thinking and I realize that now, more than ever, I am seeing tribal inspired accessories everywhere. On jewelry handbags, and even on peoples feet.

I'm not sure where this south of the border wave came from, but I'm more than willing to grab my surfboard (tribal-inspired of course) and join these designers. In my opinion, quite a few people are afraid of color, and this trend inspires people to be more daring with there accessories and broaden the hues of their wardrobes.

Take Teen Vouges recent fashion spreads for example. Almost more than three of their spreads that have been seen in Teen Vouge relating to this summer have had some kind of tribal-feel to the oufits and even the design of the spread. Here are a few pictures from one of their spreads. Notice the crazy array of colors and patterns. I dont think the fashion experts at Teen Vouge were concerned about the reality of people actually wearing these exact outfits than the point they were trying to make in these pictures. I think the message came across. Color. Get some of that color and patterns going on in your wardrobe and you cant go wrong!

Replay top, $425. Liz Claiborne New York pants, $69. LK Jewelry by Leetal Kalmanson wide Swarovski crystal bracelets, $225 each. Mercedes Salazar woven bangles, $20-$50 each. Antik Batik bag, $192. Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti sandals.

Marc by Marc Jacobs dress. Kenzo flower necklace. Alyssa Norton fabric and rhinestone bangles, $115 each. Kool Konnections geometric wood bangles, $7 each. Giles & Brother by Philip Crangi yellow bracelet, $350. Longchamp bag, $398
Topshop T-shirt, $36. See by ChloƩ skirt, $265. Erickson Beamon for Anna Sui necklace. Calleen Cordero Designs belt, $199. Erickson Beamon jeweled bracelet, $393, and floral bracelet. M. Haskell wooden bangle, $20. Pono by Joan Goodman beaded bangle, $25
Karen Walker dress. Roberta Freymann necklace, $225. Anna Sui bag. Erickson Beamon ring, $180; teal and green, checkerboard, and purple bangles. R.J. Graziano wooden bangles, $35–$65 each. Sorrelli thin crystal bangles, $53–$80 each.
Apparel T-shirt, $32. Suno shorts, $255. Pepita necklace, $160. Sunshine & Shadow belts, $195 each. Juicy Couture beaded bracelets, $348 each. La Sirena doll, $23. Mercedes Salazar bracelet (on doll), $19.

I've said all I want to say about tribal-inspired items for this summer and like I said, Im all for it.

Trend: Tribal Chic Clothing
I'm a FAN

10 comments:

Matias - Organizador said...

wooow, a LOT of color! I love it!


--

ellie said...

such spectacular colors! love them.

Hannah said...

Oh, wow, now that is totally amazing. I wouldn't be able to pull the look off at all, but pulling some inspiration out of it wouldn't be such a bad idea, eh?
:D

xo,
hk

Anonymous said...

These are such a feast for the eyes!

FASHION CHALET said...

Thank you. AW. Your comment was so sweet!!! :)

I love the use of bright popping color in editorials these days, like a box of spilled Crayola crayons ;)


x!

j. said...

Definitely lovin the prints and colors! Id wear them but not in the same style.. I dont have enough guts nor chutzpah to pull that off.. hehe..

xx

V

Fashion Cappuccino said...

I love that TeenVogue Editorial! I think bright colors and some wild prints are perfect for mixing and matching with what you have in your wardrobe! xxoxoxo

Count Drugula said...

Howdy Y'all!

My name is Nick Zurko and I represent the earth-oriented, NY-based accessories company PONO, founded and designed by Joan Goodman. I apologize for using the comment space, but I couldn't find any contact info. I just wanted to thank you for posting the Teen Vogue feature, as it features one of our Women of Kenya Morning Bangles.

To see our whole, diverse collection, please visit our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter, both of which are listed below. Have a great day!

Nick Zurko
Web Marketing/Sales
PONO Accessories
132 W. 36 St.
NY, NY 10018
http://www.facebook.com/pages/PONO/17016960777
PONO Twitter: PONOjsg
Personal Twitter: Zurkonic

Unknown said...

The colors are all so beautiful! I love love love tribal-inspired fashion.

Syed said...

Loving the prints and bright colours!! I have always been a fan of colour, and am definitely not afraid to wear it bright :) But I do really think that even the most plain outfits can be jazzed up with just the smallest pop of colour.